Thursday 19 September 2013

Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier


Well, nothing to say, it's JM book that I have possessed for years on the shelf already!  


“A boy learning to find his place in the world while balancing the sense of right or wrong and of loyalty.”

Hmm, although there are a lot of same ingredients from JM for me, it does not really suit my liking. The setting - grim setting of the Northern Europe and reality of Viking warriors. The male lead – a bit too simple boy who is hampered by his ‘so-called’ brother/ friend and yet burden/bad influence. The villain – too cruel a man is already disheartened, but how about too cruel a man with ambition? The outcomes are much sadder.
Personally, I feel this book is too destructive in the leading plot. Yet, I also enjoyed the courage of many brave men and women in the book.

And somehow, I feel even though I like JM books, I still prefer her later works since the early ones hold too many tragedies. In addition, the story telling in the beginning of her books always has a sense of foreboding!

I give it C+

No comments:

Post a Comment