Friday 6 September 2013

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier


It is Juliet Marillier's work..

“A girl who flees the King’s army for her unusual ability is learning about who she is and how her ability can make the better kingdom.”
 

A tiring and demanding path a heroine must choose to follow and accomplish is indeed a typical theme for Juliet Marillier's characters to walk through. Yet, so far, this is the first time the stake is not just about the lead characters and those around them, but just about the whole kingdom! 

I have always enjoyed the subtle love in her books and this time I also did the same. Love the way the hero secretly harbours the feelings for the heroine, and love the way, through his silent yet steady care and concern, she gradually returns the affection back to him. It is heart-warming to see a patient man who is just content to love her and care for one girl, without wanting anything back in return but her safety and well-being.

Juliet Marillier has been one of my favourite fantasy writers, and aye, after reading this book, it remains so!
Back to the book, I from time to time feel annoyed with Neryn’s too-stubbornness in the beginning and the middle of the book. Somewhat it feels sad and lonely to see her go through the dangerous, challenging journey by herself. But then, this enhances the part of travelling together with another character, and her coming-of-age in the end of the book helps many of her then-seemingly-unreasonable becomes reasonable and understandable.

It is normal to see magical creatures in Juliet Marillier books, and even particularly normal that they somehow ‘demand’ the main character to fulfil a duty and taste a test. In this book, the Good Folk show themselves and demand such test too, but they are more amiable than those in other books.  Indeed, it is clear that the Good Folk provide help and friendship, as well as get involved while those magical creatures from other books simply stand aloof with rather critical mind that is quick to judge.

I have found quite many topics in the books rather controversial. And these topics keep making me thinking about how right and wrong, white and black just all blurs. 

Hmm, this book is about a journey of a girl who discovers herself, find strength within her, and start fighting for what she has come to believe. And I think I give it B/B+.

Reading Book 2 now. I do feel it is nice and wise to wait until this one comes out. Or else, I could have been left hanging! But then, I fear I would simply be in the said state after it finishes!  

Oh, as for my choice of song for the book, it’s Damaged from TLC for both Neryn and Flint. After all, they are all living in a damaged land waiting to be mended, and they are too damaged by the world they live in.

I know I'm kinda strange, to you sometimes
Don't always say, what's on my mind
You know that I've been hurt, by some guy
But I don't wanna mess up this time

And I really really really care
And I really really really want you
And I think I'm kinda scared
Cos I don't want to lose you
If you really really really care
Then maybe you can hang through
I hope you understand
It's nothing to you

 Ps. Oh, I did not mean to write my review. But then, I did! It should be better to collect my own reflection once I finish the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment