Thursday 19 September 2013

Warprize and Warsworn by Elizabeth Vaughan



Series: Chronicles of the Warlands, #1 and #



<<  WARPRIZE  >>
I immensely enjoyed reading about a capable and strong heroine, and that’s why I almost immediately liked Lara, who has a determination for saving the captive enemies, and later, for saving her own people.
And the real motive of the hero, Keir, is rather sweet. How he actually falls in love with her and all. Although I like the concept of what “Warprize” actually means, I do not really enjoy the plot of ‘misunderstanding’ of how Lara and her people VS Keir and his people interpret the meaning of the it differently. For readers, it is quite plain to see the real significance of it, but then for Keir and his people? I would say ignorance is in the way. Nevertheless, it was also fun to read how Lara adapted to new culture while positively affecting those around her.
Still, I was not particularly happy with the before-ending, especially with Keir’s decision.
The rate is B-.



<<  WARSWORN  >>
Despite the joy I found in book one, I must say I did not enjoy reading this sequel much. It is probably that I feel against the main plot: fighting the plague. Personally, in Warsworn, Lara is too naïve/ignorant/stubborn, and she ruins everything with getting her own way. It was too uninteresting reading about illness and the plague, and that this plot possesses too much space in the book.

From a capable and strong character in Warprize, she reduces herself to be short-sighted. This is especially clear when she ‘devotes’ herself to heal the ill people in the village and tells others to ‘burn’ her if she is ever infected. Well, this may sound brave and selfless of her, but to think that she is a queen with the duty to bind her country with another land, she fails miserably. This is not to say that in the end she brings the plague into the army, and those around her lay dying.

I miss a thoughtful woman in book one, and hard seeing a rather ‘whimsical’ girl here.

I don’t think I will go on with book three unfortunately. Yes, it is given C-/D.

No comments:

Post a Comment