Sunday 11 May 2014

Soulbound by Heather Brewer

I read the book for the high rate Goodread gives, and I am pleased I read this!



“A girl bound by the set of protocols fighting to become herself and follow her belief”

Hmm, there are both yes and no elements I find in SOULBOUND, some of which are frequently-used plots found in YA paranormal genre, such as love triangle, a new girl in school and so on. I like KAYA and her attitude, as well as her ‘side-kick’ helper MADDOX. What I’m not sure I like is the pattern of two boys aiming for her attention, and well, affection: 1) caring and close TRAYTON (whose weakness is his adherence to the rules) and 2) distant and cold DARIUS (with, however, his disregard to the rules).

The pace of the story is acceptable, but, only after a while, I find the plot a bit too repeating – sneaking at night and encountering murderous creatures, fighting the instructors and ending with extra duty (A.K.A. tending the roses) and, with less frequency, confronting a certain villain girl.

Overall, the storyline is quite intriguing, if not a bit predictable. I have wondered what KAYA will become and will find since I first read about her, and I still want to know more about her after I finished the book. The only problem for me is the climax/ ending if the book, which I feel rather unconvincing. I feel the two males become seriously injured only to test her real ‘bound’ to both boys.

But then, I will blame it on an-overthinking-adult-munching-on-YA-book because, despite my criticism, I did enjoy the book immensely, and I will definitely read SOULBROKEN!  

PS. I still don’t understand why I think about Harry Potter and his school setting while reading the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment