Sunday 11 May 2014

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen




"A desperate tale with a cause"

Hmm, although the characters are all believable, I feel there are some elements missing for me. I fear, in the search of happy ending happy reading, I did not expect for a little grim story.

We all know the story of a benevolent Robin Hood since we were young. Still, a child's perception does not imagine much cruelty exists in this world, and we all learn this story without much thoughts. But what if the story behind is more complex than that? And maybe that's my reaction when I read Scarlet.

Since the storyline is much on the heroine, it's easiest to look into her head. And her point of view is rather grim. She can not stop acting, she can not stop doing something, anything... as she fears the moment she stops, someone might go hungry, get hurt or be killed. She never truly eats because another mouthful for her belly can also be another mouthful for other hopeless people out there. Worst of all, she regards herself beyond redemption, for she is a thief.

I used to love this fanciful tale of Robin Hood when I was young. However, by always providing for his people, how can Hood and his band can truly sustain the needs of so many people? There are too many people and too many needs VS too little manpower the band has. Indeed, 4 thieves against a sheriff and his army.

Somewhat that affects Robin Hood's attitude towards Scarlet as well. I normally go for aloof characters over lover boys. Yet, in this book, I feel Hood does not really deserve her. He says he does not know how to sort out his feelings towards her, and instead uses scornful insults as his protection. Also, I feel Scarlet is a convenience for Hood when it comes to stealing and intelling. A noble he is, Hood should have respected Scarlet more.

Despite hope the characters insist, I still feel despair looming in. Maybe I'm not a believer, maybe I'm too tired with donation fatigue.

The rate is B. I like the details given to the characters and yes, all action scenes.

With the summary for Book 2, not sure if I dare to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment