Tuesday 12 February 2013

Rescue Me by Rachel Gibson



 Well, I saw the book at my favourite book shop, and since I still felt head-over-heel with this type of bride-mate-needing-a-date plot from another ‘Bet me’ reread. And oh, here we go! 

 


Genre : Contemporary/ Romance/ Cowboy
Series : Lovett, Texas, Book 3
Printing Press : Avon

After years away from home, Sadi finds herself in need for a come-back to the small town of Lovett, Texas after her younger cousin asks her to be a bride maid. Then, upon her arrival, she rescues a man named Vince and drops him in the town. Things then get tangled when she realizes this time she can’t quickly run away from the town as fast as she used to because her estranged cowboy father get injured from a horse breeding. And so, two sort-of strangers in Lovett start making each other’s company.

I think I have shortened the story the best I can. For me, I find the story boring and charmless. From page one, the telling goes by too much description for its own good. I hear one viewer praised it on getting into characters’ heads but I have to say it is because the book writes too much! (And too much gives too little space for our sparking imagination!) Still, I kept on reading it in hope for better thing once the awkward introduction ends.

What I like about the book? Well, Vince is too manly too flat for me. And Sadi? If she is this beautiful and this successful, how can she end up giving up everything at the end of the book to stay at Lovett? Personally, I think it is the most incredible notion in the book! Well, by plotting her to stay home and finally find her root, the author makes her self-made part too weak. Why wouldn’t have balanced Sadi’s life by keeping her agent work and going back home for weekends? That would be more appropriate for me. This is because I simply think she gets overwhelmed by the situation, and as a running away girl who comes home and finds herself the last in the line, there is not another option she could make.

I must admit the appeal for me to go on reading is I myself also had an issue with my father. And so, I was reading hoping the father-daughter relationship would have been improved. And, oh, thing did not really go quite the way I hope and I find myself quite disappointed with how it ends. spolier [her father dies.] But then, maybe in real life, especially in real life and real-life novels, we all can’t get what we want. 

What else? Two people in the town full of strangers? Love between a heroine and a hero starts by being friends with benefits. A.K.A. one night stand that turns two nights, two weeks and two months. Well, in romance, it is obligatory that the attachment will somehow turn to love. And so, with the author’s matter-of-fact writing of style, it feels forced and bleak. 

Still, I quite like Sadi. She is strong, direct and fair. I most like the part when she offers to help Vince after witnessing his secret nightmare.   

“I’m sorry. It must be horrible. I wish there was something I could do.”


“Why?”


“Because you helped me when I needed you. Because I’m not lonely when you’re around. Because you rescue me even when I don’t ask you to.”

Hmm, I feel strong towards the book for many reasons, and when I have been doing the review my feelings go rather mixed. It is almost a did-not-finish reading for me. So, how should I grade it? D is my initial reaction, and C- is quite close. So, D/C- to go!

Then, for a sentence summary. “A boring read.”

----


15/02/13

After the above brief summary, I have been thinking about the story and I found it is rather diary-like. So, I come up with this. A better-defined one. "A boring diary of two people" 

------
 
Ps. [personal space]
1. Sadi’s issues with her daddy end when she opens her eyes to see things in the new light. But mine is still an issue and will always be. She resolves an enigma, which is her daddy, before he dies. But I will never ever have that chance!!!

Maybe that’s why I feel most strong about it. And maybe that’s why I hope for their relationship to turn rosy!

2. It’s been too long since I did my last review. Too long!




No comments:

Post a Comment