Thursday 11 September 2014

Night's Honor by Thea Harrison

"A desperate human girl seeking a protection from a vampire lord?"

Hmm, it seems to be just that! The book is my far the least favourite in the series, and by that extent, the most boring one! I feel half of the book is spent on how the lead girl, Tess, adjusts to the new life under Xavier's roof, without any actions, without any events. The interactions the two leads have between each other are also repetitive and slow. And so, somewhat, instead of being a full-length book, Night's Honor should have been only a short novella - I feel that way it could have captured more of the readers' attention.

There is less moving action and less intense emotion in the book. Perhaps the most "active" scene is when Tess is fighting for Xavier's life, and yet it's rather a cliche scene to read. This is also especially trite with the decision of one minor character. I don't really feel any connection with Tess, and I also feel she doesn't deserve the love and devotion from Xavier. On the other hand, while the other books make the vampyre cold and aloof, the book gives us Xavier's personal insight and shows us a man full of goodness and greatness... to the point he becomes romantically fanciful. Or fancifully romantic? I don't know which case is right. Only that I know the man is too good a portrayal.

As Tess is a human, I can't help compare her to Grace in Oracle's Moon. And I still find Grace more interesting and likeable.

I'd rather spend time re-reading Kinked or Serpent's Kiss.

Give it C-/D+

No comments:

Post a Comment